Friday 4 August 2017

Sew Over It - Poppy Play Suit

Happy Fri-yay my lovelies, I hope you have all had a good week and are looking forward to the weekend, I know I am. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to spend sometime in the garden.


So I'm back today to show you the next item on my 'Make 9' list, which is the Sew Over It - Poppy Play suit. This pattern was a free with issue 16 of Simply Sewing Magazine and as soon as I opened my subscription I knew I wanted to make this one. Its right up my street. Again the fabric that I used for this make was another bargain from ebay, it was only about £2-£3 a meter. And as I am practising and getting back into dressmaking I thought it was a good budget fabric for having a go at this one.

I did think that maybe I was making things difficult for my self by choosing a textured crepe and I have to admit it was a little slippery to work with. But because of the lovely drape of the fabric and the pattern, you dont need to be too precious with it.


I know I say this a lot but I love to overlock!!! If it were a hobby it certainly would be mine :D 

I managed to get the bodice sewn together relatively quickly, its an easier pattern than it looks, there is a front bodice piece and two back pieces, the sleeves are part of the bodice so no sleeve setting for this one. Then you have two front pieces and two back pieces for the shorts and of course a neckline facing.


Once it started coming together I realised how much I loved the fabric that I had chosen and persevering with its slipperiness was so worth it!


I was really surprised at how quickly it came together, the pattern instructions were really easy to understand and very straightforward to follow. The only part I would say I didn't like was slip stitching the turn ups on the sleeves and hem of the shorts. And because of the drape of the fabric I chose I ended up slip stitching the top of the turn ups too as they were flopping down a little. In the end it was worth it, maybe next time I will use something with a little less drape so that it stays in shape once you press it.


So this is the finished garment and I absolutely love it, the fit is perfect and I love the style. It looks great dressed up with heels and a jacket but also looks great with sandals or pumps to go for a more casual look. What do you think?

My aim is to be able to make myself a staple wardrobe of classic items that wont go out of fashion, so once I have figured out which patterns are going to feature in my capsule collection then I can get cracking on some more makes, I'm thinking a midnight blue crepe for this pattern I think it would look gorgeous!!

Next on the list is the Sew Over it - Ultimate shift dress.....sorry I know all of my makes so far are SOI ones but I promise there are some other patterns coming soon :D

Have a fabulous weekend my lovelies, see you next week...
Emma xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my blog and leave me a comment. I love hearing your thoughts and comments.... Emma xx