Thursday 27 February 2014

Learning to crochet....at last


Ever since I was about 12 I'd wanted to learn to crochet, I knew how to knit at a basic level (this has never progressed) but was always intrigued by 'knitting with one needle' which is how I saw it. I'm not really sure why I never tried it, maybe it was that other hobbies just got in the way. 

Last year I bought a note book (which I keep in my bag for writing ideas in) and in the front page I wrote:

"I want to........"

First line said "1. Learn to crochet" followed by another four projects I'd like to conquor. There was never a time limit and with most things with me they stay on a list and I'm still saying the same thing the year after. But a few weeks ago I just had the urge to search on Etsy for some crochet hooks and within about five minutes they were in my shopping basket and paid for. To be honest I'd pretty much forgotten I'd ordered them (yes my brain is rubbish at remembering things I've done) and was so excited when they arrived with the postman.

I already had some left over wool from a blanket that I'd made Nell just after Christmas so I thought I'll just have a go. I found some fab tutorials on Youtube, too many really. I found myself flitting between videos to see how different they were but then found a couple that were really basic, just what I needed. 

I decided that the wool I had wasn't really suitable (any excuse to buy craft materials) so I ordered two balls of wool from Knit Nottingham which arrived today. If you look at the photo above you can see how ridiculously chunky the magenta wool is :D 

I love to learn new skills and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into a crochet project soon.

Don't worry I'm not trading in my fabrics for balls of wool, in fact my next project is going to be to make a roll for my crochet hooks and I have the perfect fabric in mind for it too.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I learned to crochet a few years ago and I've never looked back. The house is full of crocheted cushions & blankets. Enjoy your new talent.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my blog and leave me a comment. I love hearing your thoughts and comments.... Emma xx